- Came to America in 1974 with nothing but the shirt on his back to escape the military dictatorship that ruled over South Korea at the time.
- Started out as a janitor, but eventually found a job in the Los Angeles County Data Processing Department.
- Promoted in the LA County Data Processing Department from Computer Operator to Assistant Manager within 3 years.
- At the time, it was a record career advancement pace within the department.
- Quit the LA County Data Processing Department to start his own realty business.
- The business became very successful.
- Sold the realty business and started a publication, The Korean Street Journal
- Publication became the de-facto voice for the Korean Democracy Movement.
- The South Korean dictatorship fought him tooth and nail, almost driving him to bankruptcy
- Closed The Korean Street Journal, started a new printing business.
- Sold the printing business and retired as an entrepreneur.
- Went back to school to earn a PhD
- Dissertation titled ”The Nuclear Problem on the Korean Peninsula“
- Served two terms on the Cerritos City Council, serving one year as mayor.
- Founded the non-profit organization KUSPI (Korea-US Peace Institute).
- The organization mission is to educate the American and Korean public about the root cause of the conflict in Korea and offer solutions to resolve the conflict.
As an Entrepreneur
- Started from the ground up three different businesses, two of which became highly successful
As an Activist
- Ran a publication that fought for democracy in South Korea.
- Publication used the Freedom of the Press enjoyed in the US but not in South Korea under the military dictatorship that ruled in the 1980s.
- The fight was successful, and brought democracy to South Korea in 1987.
As an Elected Official
- Balanced the budget – without cutting essential services or laying off any employees – for a city of 50,000 residents.
As a Non-profit Founder
- Started the Korea-US Peace Institute (KUSPI) to educate the public about the crisis on the Korean Peninsula, and offer solutions to bring peace to the Peninsula and Northeast Asia.
As an Avid Runner
- Ran over 80 full marathons around the world, including the most prestigious of them all, the Boston Marathon
- Personal record is 3 hours, 50 minutes, and 49 seconds
- Promoting peace while running the marathons
- Ran a 100 mile race in 25 hours and 30 minutes (straight)
Fully funding our public K-14 education system
As a PhD graduate, and with three children who are all law school graduates, I know the value of education, and I believe everybody should have access to good, quality, public education
Healthcare For All
Having been self employed for most of my life, I have had periods in which I did not have health insurance. I don’t wish that upon anybody.
We have to make sure everybody has access to good, affordable healthcare.
stimulate innovation to reduce our carbon footprint
We are facing a severe climate change that could endanger the way we live and how we leave the planet to our children and grandchildren.
Reduce the gun violence plaguing our communities
While guns can be useful instruments, some people have no business owning or possessing a gun
Protect local government funds
Having served in city government during a time in which the State raided the city’s bank account, I want to make sure the State never does that again
15 cities spanning 3 counties
- Anaheim (part)
- Buena Park (part)
- La Habra
- La Palma
- Yorba Linda
Los Angeles County:
- Diamond Bar
- Rowland Heights
- West Covina (part)
San Bernardino County:
- Chino Hills
PO Box 780
Buena Park, CA 90621